Monday 12 March 2012

The Paul Weller Movement - Into Tomorrow


I've decided to rip a single or two every day that I have the time. How great were seven inch singles? They sound fantastic and elevate the pop tune to its rightful place in the world of pop.

My first rip is...


This is a great track. This single came out in 1991 and somewhere round this time I saw PW play the Town and Country Club in Kentish Town.  The single was yet to come out and the venue was only half full. 

At the time he was calling himself The Paul Weller Movement.  So why were there so few punters there that night?  I guess The Style Council years had alienated quite a bit of his original fanbase. Personally I loved The Style Council just as much as The Jam.  

So back to the record, here he is getting back to guitar pop after the Style Council years.  It's a mix of soul-funk and Small Faces psych that both nods to his past and his influences, and also where he was going to be headed.  This is probably one of his best solo tunes.  It also heralded something of a golden period.  The next couple of albums - Paul Weller and Wild Wood - are my personal faves. 

The b-side is a goodie too. It's called 'Here's a new thing'.

No comments:

Post a Comment